I've been making trips to my dad's hometown of San Antonio for my entire life. It is a vibrant city full of kind, hardworking people, gorgeous scenery, and culture beyond compare. To say I love it is an understatement. Each time my family makes a trip to SA, we make an effort to try a new restaurant or visit a new location. I'm psyched to share my favorite finds, old faves, and hidden gems that would make an incredible weekend in SA!
- El Mercado in down town SA // 514 W. Commerce, San Antonio, TX 78207 // The mercado of Market Square is an open air market spanning three blocks selling Mexican imports, local food, hand-embroidered dresses and tons more. The culture of SA really comes alive in this plaza - this is the perfect day activity for the weekend!
- Japanese Tea Garden // 200-414 Alpine, San Antonio, TX 78212 // The Japanese Garden (pictured above with the koi fish) is a rock quarry-turned-botanical garden. It is INCREDIBLE. Go.
- Visit the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park // The missions of Concepción, San José, San Juan and Espada were built in the early 1700's by missionaries from Spain. The missions have been beautifully restored and are great for a day trip to explore for several hours.
- Shopping in the Alamo Quarry Market // 255 E Basse Rd, San Antonio, TX 78209
- Explore the Riverwalk // 849 E Commerce St, San Antonio, TX 78205 // A classic SA activity is to explore the Riverwalk that runs through downtown. There are fun stores, kitchy restaurants, and beautiful scenery.
- Cappy's // 5011 Broadway St, San Antonio, TX 78209 // Cappy's is our family's favorite fancy restaurant. We make sure to go every single time we’re in SA. The food is incredible - an upscale mix of American classics and creative fares. Truly a must .
- La Fogata // 2427 Vance Jackson Rd, San Antonio, TX 78213 // La Fogata is straight up my favorite Mexican restaurant in SA, which is hard to do. They serve classic tex-mex in a garden atmosphere. All of the photos below were taken there!! Try the queso flameado, trust me on this.
- El Mirador // 722 S Saint Marys St, San Antonio, TX 78205 // El Mirador is a great new-age Mexican place in a revamped neighborhood, def worth a peek!
- Oblate Cafe // 904 Oblate Dr, San Antonio, TX 78216 // A classic SA Mexican cafe for the true cultural experience.