Vintage shell home decor pieces by Le Studio Twelve // this shop has a gorgeously curated assortment of mid-century modern + feminine pieces. You can find them on insta at @lestudiotwelve and shop them here.
Film Recap // If you’ve been following along on my insta you know that I have fallen in love with 35mm film photography. If you’ve ever wanted to dabble in this type of art, this blog post I wrote is for you. In it I’ve outlined the basics of 35mm film and the gear I have found to be the easiest and most flexible.
Hello, friends! I’m happy to be back from a much needed hiatus from posting on my site. To be entirely honest with you, the past year was the most tumultuous period I've yet experienced and I’d been feeling drained of joy. My heart was broken and it allowed self-doubt to seep into everything around me. I was constantly comparing myself to others and feeling like I was coming up short of my own hyper-critical expectations. If you have ever wanted to crumple up an entire year and throw it in the trash then you get my drift. I knew that I desperately needed to take a step back from putting pressure on my creativity and give myself space to heal. In that space, I read some books, allowed myself to feel sad, angry, and everywhere in-between, had countless meaningful conversations with my friends, family and therapist. Most significantly, I attempted as hard as I could to give myself grace. I’d like to share a few thoughts I came out on the other side with with you.
1. Run hand-in-hand with your imperfections. You are the only you out there and that is wildly amazing.
2. Progress is happening, even when you feel like shit. There will be days where you feel great for 15 minutes and then feel like hiding under the bed for 4 hours - this doesn’t mean you aren’t healing and making progress! Your experiences day to day leave you as a different, more self-aware person than you were the day before.
3. Even when you feel completely alone, broken beyond repair, and ready to give in, you are worthy of complete unconditional acceptance.
4. Be gentle with yourself. Where we rob ourselves of acceptance is where we need it the most.
5. Become your own role model. Look to others for inspiration, see what you like about them, and decide to take specific actions in becoming that person for yourself.
Canon A-1 35mm film camera - I use this as my main camera for significant shoots. The Canon A-1 produces high quality shots while remaining very easy to use, plus you can find them for less than $200 on eBay
Olympus Trip 35 - this little camera is considered one of the best in the vintage point and shoot category. It is solar powered, has adjustable focusing ranges, and is perfect for throwing in your bag while traveling
Fujifilm Superia X-TRA ISO 400 35mm Color Film - this is my pick for inexpensive learning film. It still has a beautiful aesthetic, especially when shot in full day light
ILFORD HP5 - my favorite bw film stock! Ilford HP5 is known for having a soft aesthetic with low contrast + high grain
Processing + Inspo
Late January is the start of my city’s favorite time of year. The Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo is a deep tradition going all the way back to the founding cattlemen of Fort Worth. It’s the longest running rodeo, held annually since 1896 and has provided millions of dollars in college scholarships to Texas Tech and my alma mater, Texas Christian University! The rodeo is a cultural icon for Fort Worth, but selfishly my favorite aspect is that it’s a hell of a good time. I’ve gathered a few tips on how to have a damn good time at the FWSSR + a style guide on what I’m going to wear!
How to Rodeo like a Fort Worth Babe
1. It will most likely be chilly, long sleeves and/or pants are recommended.
2. You might get some dirt kicked in your beer, or in your face for that matter. Embrace it, it’s good luck.
3. Let your extrovert come alive. There are tons of cool people from all walks of life at the rodeo and you never know where you can make a rad new friend.
4. Get your western on, even if you feel like a total poser. This is the perfect time to break out your fancy cowboy boots and cowboy hat.